Hazyview Accommodation and Things to Do
The small town of Hazyview is nestled in the hills of the Lowveld region in Mpumalanga, South Africa. It is a sub tropical farming town known for bananas, macadamia nuts, citrus, avocado pears and other fruits and nowadays also for coffee farming.
The town lies on the western border of the renowned Kruger National Park and is surrounded by other beautiful small towns.
The Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport in Mbombela (Nelspruit) is a 45km drive from Hazyview. International flights arrive via Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
From Hazyview you can travel to –
Gauteng 407 km;
Mbombela/Nelspruit 58 km;
Witrivier 46 km;
Graskop 40 km;
Sabie 45 km;
Pelgrimsrust 55 km
Kruger National Park 14 km.
The Kruger Lowveld region is as well known for its spectacular beauty and adventure activities.
Many visitors consider this area as the ‘real’ Africa. The subtropical climate, broad-leaved trees and thorn trees co-exist in relatively open woodland along long grass and lots of game.
In the far north, it gets warmer and the vegetation changes to mopane woodland and huge Baobab trees that dominate the landscape.
Filled with history, not only are there historical sites and villages, old wagon routes and monuments to explore, it is also home to the famous Jock of the Bushveld and the historic mining towns of Pilgrim’s Rest and Barberton.
Although it is hardly a speck on a map, Hazyview is very familiar to local and international visitors. The reason being that Hazyview is the gateway town to the Kruger National Park.
What to do in Hazyview –
- Visit the Kruger National Park to ensure a thrilling experience. The vast network of roads and bountiful game will leave you breathless. Spot the buffalo, leopard, impala, lion, elephant, rhino and many more.
- Enjoy an interactive session with an African elephant at the Elephant Sanctuary outside Hazyview. The sanctuary offers elephant rides whilst early risers can brush down the elephants or walk hand-in-trunk with these majestic beasts.
- Be brave and try the treetop challenge. it is an obstacle course up in the trees where you are required to cross a series of beams, rope bridges and rope mesh, to end with a 50m zipline back to base.
- Enjoy a quiet and peaceful moment high in the sky on a dawn journey over the Kruger National Park in a hot air balloon.
- Book a round of golf at Kruger Park Lodge Golf Club or any of the other well-known courses.
- The two rivers on either end of Hazyview, the Sabie and the North Sand River, are home to many species of fish. Enjoy some fishing in the cool shades of the huge trees.
- Spend a day at Pilgrim’s Rest, a historic mining town, now a museum, and enjoy the travel back in time.
- The Graskop Gorge Lift takes visitors down into the gorge to experience the dramatic landscapes and waterfalls.
Where to eat in Hazyview –
- Tank Bush Pub Restaurant will spoil you with a relaxing atmosphere, outdoor seating, succulent steak and delicious burgers;
- Kuka Restaurant boasts a nice view, an outside deck, good food, good service and value for money;
- Pioneers Grill Resuarant is famous for their burgers and calamari;
- River Cafe is a luxurious place with a great setting, but weekends only;
- G’s Bistro Restaurant has a warm and friendly ambiance and serves excellent meals and pizza;
- Topolino’s Restaurant specialises in Italian cuisine, has a nice patio and delicious food;
- Perry’s Bridge Trading Post is a relaxing venue with a curio shop, veranda, deli goods and serves light meals;
- Hippo Hollow Restaurant has a unique setting on the river and will spoil you with superb food;
- Tuskers Restaurant sits on a hill overlooking the Sabie River Valley and is famous for African cuisine;
- Rissington Inn treats you with traditional dishes, interesting starters and mouth-watering trout dishes.
Where to stay in Hazyview –
This little gem offers more than 100 accommodation places to choose from and you will be suprised at what it has to offer. Whether you need something special like a retreat, or cottages for a family, or lodges in abundance, or tranquil and quiet, or glamping, or a guest house or even hotel stay, Hazyview will treat you with the best in the Lowveld.
Click here for some great accommodation options in Hazyview: www.want2stay.com/city/hazyview
Don’t miss out on a pleasant stay and holiday.
Blog Writer: Ancabe v Zyl (c) – Want2Stay (Pty) Ltd