The coastal town of Langebaan is located in the Western Cape region of South Africa.
Towns near Langebaan:
- 120 km north of Cape Town
- 28 km from Vredenburg
- 20 km from Saldanha Bay
- 34 km from Paternoster
Famous for its Lagoon, the Langebaan Lagoon is a salt water lagoon and unlike other, was not formed by a fresh water river running to the sea. This makes it a perfect place for families to holiday: A seawater beach area which is safe for the whole family to enjoy. Here the adults can relax while the children build sand-castles.
If you are looking for a family holiday destination, this is a very good option.
The area has a rich history dating back to the Khoi San and Vasco da Gama who set foot on land at St Helena Bay in 1497. Did you know the French used Schaapeneiland (close to Langebaan beach) as a storage island for whale oil and seal hides?
Founded in 1922, Langebaan was used as a whaling station.
As it is rich in Fauna and Flora, Langebaan is also a famous wildlife-watching spot.
Here are a few popular activities in the area:
Bird-Watching: More than 300 species of birds are found in the lagoon area and during certain times of the year you will see the birds migrating in huge flocks.
Hiking in the West Coast National Park is a popular activity.
Whale watching during October and November months are very popular.
Water sport activities are popular, like sailing and kayaking, kitesurfing and fishing.
- Attend some of the festivities the West Coast offer, like art exhibitions and sporting events like triathlons, cycling and many more.
- At Club Mykonos you will find regular performances of well-known artists.
- Attend local craft markets.
- Here you will still find a local church bazaar like many of you might remember from your childhood days. This is just the right place to buy that home-made jam or biscuits.
- Each year Langebaan hosts a Mussel Festival and this is something you must experience once in your life. Normally held during the first weekend in October, this festival turns Langebaan into one big happy family gathering.
- Just a short drive from Langebaan you will find Thali Thali Game reserve. Here you can test your ability on the archery range as well as doing a game drive.
- Visit the Black Eagle Brewing Company
- Go to the West Coast Fossil Park in Vredenburg – not too far from Langebaan.
- Friday Island is a beach front restaurant with lovely views where you can enjoy seafood while watching a beautiful sunset.
- The Oliphantskop horse trails is an activity for the horse riding enthusiasts
Even if you end up spending your whole weekend or holiday just lazing around your self-catering unit, you will enjoy Langebaan. We have fantastic options on accommodation and you will find the people of Langebaan to be very friendly.
On your way in to town, stop at the local shop and get ready for a true South African braai, but remember here in the West Coast, you must try fresh fish, caught straight from the sea in this particular area. That is what local cuisine is made of.
This pretty West Coast Town is the place where you will want to spend more time. It will call you back again and again as the West Coast of South Africa are known to do.
Blog Post by Elmari Janse van Rensburg for Want2Stay
Copy Right 2020